Newcastle Women’s Aid has over 40 years’ experience of providing specialist support services.
Our experience tells us that when women are living with domestic abuse they quite often can’t make sense of why or what is happening and are likely to blame themselves.
Our group programmes provide opportunities for women to recognise domestic abuse, its impacts and explore options so the process of recovery can begin.
- Newcastle Women’s Aid Freedom Programme commenced on May 17th 2017 and ends on 19th July 2017. We are no longer accepting referrals for this programme.
- We are accepting referral’s for our next Freedom Programme which will commence on 6th September 2017.
The Freedom Programme is a 10-week programme focusing on abusive behaviours used within abusive relationships.
The Freedom Programme will:
- Identify what is domestic abuse.
- Give us a greater understanding about how abusive behaviours are used to gain the power and the control in an abusive relationship.
- Explores the impacts living with domestic abuse can have on women and children.
- Provide an opportunity for women to develop ways of thinking and behaving to protect themselves and their children from domestic abuse.
- Increase women’s ability to take control of their lives.
- Recognise the beliefs held by abusive men.
- To recognise the impact of their life experience on their own attitudes and beliefs.
- To increase women’s ability to recognise what steps they need to take to keep their children safe.
Comments from women who have accessed the Freedom Programme:
- ‘To know that I am not the only one who has suffered from Domestic Violence and that what I am feeling is normal.’
- ‘Realisation that you aren’t the only one suffering.’
- ‘Talking about what happened opened my eyes to things.’
- ‘Realising how many effects Domestic Violence had on the children.’
- ‘I felt I was believed for the first time.’
- ‘This programme has helped me recognise the signs of abusive men.’
To make a referral
- Ensure the participant agrees to the referral
- Contact us on 0191 2610504
- Self-referrals and agency referrals are accepted