Call: 0191 261 0504 | Freephone: 0800 923 2622

Personal safety plan

Information & advice

A safety plan can help protect you and your children. It will help you to think about how you can increase your safety either within the relationship, or if you decide to leave. Consider in advance how you might respond in an emergency or different situations.

Practical things

  • Teach your children to call 999 in an emergency and tell them what they would need to say (for example, their full name, address, and telephone number).
  • Think about where you might go in an emergency. Are there neighbours you can trust? If so, ask them to call the police if they hear sounds of a violent attack.
  • If you suspect your partner is about to attack you, try to go to a lower risk area of the house – for example where there is a way out and access to a telephone.
  • Avoid the kitchen or garage where there are likely to be knives or other weapons.
  • Keep your mobile phone charged.
  • Have an escape plan, so in an emergency you and the children can get away safely. Think about the safest routes in and out of your house.
  • Pack an emergency bag for yourself and your children, and hide it somewhere safe (for example, at a neighbour’s or friend’s house). Try to avoid mutual friends or family.

Preparing to leave

If you decide to leave your partner, here are some things to consider:

  • Plan to leave at a time you know your partner will not be around.
  • If you have children, try and make the school aware of your plans.
  • Be cautious about your use of internet connected devices as they could be tracked. Read about how to cover your tracks here.

What to pack if you are planning to leave your partner

Ideally, you need to take all the following items with you if you leave. Some of these items you can try to keep with you at all times; others you may be able to pack in your emergency bag.

  • Some form of identification.
  • Birth certificates for you and your children.
  • Passports (including passports for all your children), visas and work permits.
  • Money, bankbooks, cheque book, and credit and debit cards.
  • Keys for house, car, and place of work. (You could get an extra set of keys cut, and put them in your emergency bag.)
  • Cards for payment of Child Benefit and any other welfare benefits you are entitled to.
  • Driving licence (if you have one) and car registration documents, if applicable.
  • Prescribed medication.
  • Copies of documents relating to your housing tenure (for example, mortgage details or lease and rental agreements).
  • Insurance documents, including national insurance number.
  • Clothing and toiletries for you and your children.
  • Your children’s favourite small toys.

You should also take any documentation relating to the abuse – for example, police reports, court orders such as injunctions and restraining orders, and copies of medical records if you have them.

Open the door to support

We’re a calm and comforting voice on the end of the phone. We’re warm and empathetic women you can chat to in real life. We’re a sisterhood of women and girls who support, empower and check in on one another. And our door will always be open – you can dip in and out and come back at any time.